Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Starting Stats

I actually started the program more then a week ago.  In fact today is my last day of the second week.  I'm way behind on posting, but I want to make this my official "beginning stats" post.

Height: 5'11.5" with shoes on
Standing Reach: about 7'8"
Weight: about 200lbs
Body Fat%: 17.5

Standing Vert: 25"
1 Step Vert: 26.5
Running Vert: 27

Here is a link to a video showing where I stood before the program.



A while back a few of us did a contest to measure vertical leap improvement.  None of us were great jumpers at the time, but we needed a way to measure accurately so my brother and I ended up building our own vertec type machine.  It worked really well. It has the ability to raise high enough to measure up to like 12.5' and as low as about 6.5"




I will post my first week results as soon as I get a chance.

8 comments:

  1. dude - your homemade vertec is sweet! would love to buy/build one!

    your running vert at start is about same as me when i started jump manual last year. you will be dunking soon bro. no doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vertec was really fun to build and fairly simple. Luckily for my all the materials are scraps and left overs from my brothers work (http://www.tslots.com/) so it didn't cost me a penny. Did take about 8 hours of a Saturday to build though, with his help. But I'm sure any sturdy, light piping could work. Maybe I will take some pictures and do a post about the process we went through to build it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be cool. there are a few how-to vids on youtube on building a homemade vertec. i watched those and thought about doing it, but then i came across the just jump system and loving that toy. having a target though is really motivating. wish i had both! :-)

      Delete
    2. JWDunk, PLEASE how did you make it??

      Delete
  3. did you make a post of the process on how to build it ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did you use as the fingers and spacing for your vertec?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fingers are just 1/4" acrylic plexiglass that I cut to a size I liked. I did black and clear every other one, except every 6" I used blue. The spacers are actually just PVC pipe that I used a table saw to trim to 1/4" lengths. This way the 1/4" of the plexi plus the 1/4" of the PVC spacer came to 1/2".

      Delete
  5. Nice one. The only improvement I made when building mine is each vane moves independently (no friction). That way, no vanes can be disturbed above the actual vane that is touched.

    ReplyDelete