Thursday, August 2, 2012

End Week 3

So I'm not really even sure where to start with this update.  Had a lot of different things going on this week, busy days, some observations, changing diet and adjusting all kinds of thing.

I guess I'll start by saying, last week I was really down on things.  I knew I was making progress, just really was hoping for quicker results. As hard as it is I am only playing basketball twice a week again for a while, but while doing so I have made some observations that have made me feel much better about my progress. This last week while playing I have noticed just how much more explosive on the court I am.  Beating guys of the dribble, blocking shots, getting to the basket. So while I may not have been jumping as much higher as I have wanted I am getting off the floor quicker and more consistently. And that alone makes me feel pretty good about things so far.

I decided that me loosing the extra weight and getting my body fat % down was just as important to the process as the training. So I made some tweaks to my diet. I eat more protein. I tracking every single thing I eat or drink on www.myfitnesspal.com, which helps me stay on track and lets me know how I'm doing on my other nutrients as well. I also just eat less overall. While doing so I have already lost 2 lbs this week.

So this Saturday, which is the day I normally do my Strength and Explosion workout, I had a really busy day and didn't have time to get to it, same with Sunday. I ended up, instead of skipping it, pushing it clear to Monday which screwed up my whole workout schedule. Normally I do my vert tests today (Wednesday) and then do the plyo workout right after that.  My legs were still a bit sore so I decided to postpone the workout until tomorrow and skip an off day sometime next week to get back on schedule. I really pushed myself on the strength workout, making sure I was hitting the numbers I thought I should, then I wrote down every rep and weight to make sure I can up it next time. It felt really good.

Don't worry, I still did do the vert test since that is probably what most are here to see. Today's test was an interesting one.  Because of the sore legs and the poor results last week I really wasn't expecting much.  I was actually expecting a loss... Standing vert and one step stayed exactly the same, while somehow my running went up a full inch. I even reset the vertec re-measured everything and did it again just to make sure and I still got it. Not sure what to think about that. I'm hoping that the sore legs somehow made my more stationary jumps more difficult while it did not affect the running jumps so when my legs are more rested I will see more gain there. Though I'm sure that's just wishful thinking.



End Week 2            End Week 3
Standing:25"             Standing: 25"
One Step: 27"          One Step: 27"
Running: 27.5"          Running: 28.5"

Overall improvement so far (3 weeks)
Standing: No Gain
One Step: +.5"
Running: +1.5"

Also, I will eventually get more and better videos to post.  Ordered a new camcorder that I should get soon that will really help.  Thanks for following.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you will be like me and it will just take a little time before you see gains. The first couple of weeks my vertical went down then after 2 more it was about the same and then just this past week it started to go up. I am almost done with week 5 and I grabbed rim with 2 hands for first time and also dunked on a 9'10 goal pretty hard one handed. Keep up the work man and the gains will come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice 1.5 inch gain on the running vert! That's great man!

      It is sometimes a mystery why the no step vert won't be as good, but your running vert is better. That's how it was for me today. My no step vert was down maybe 2 inches, but my running vert was up an inch or so I'd say. I definitely think it has to do with how sore your muscles are and the warm-up is huge as well.

      Also, super cool that your feeling the difference in your game (blocking shots, getting to the rim, etc).

      Congrats and keep going!

      Delete